Friday 4 November 2011

Raspberry Bread and Butter Pudding

So... I never used to like Bread and Butter pudding that much... maybe as a result of Bread and Butter Pudding overload during the weeks my Mum made them as demonstrations for her class at school (she's a Food Tech teacher) when I was a teen.
One thing I'm not a huge fan of is the traditional use of raisins in them. So last week when we had a 3rd of a loaf of bread going stale I thought I'd see whether this pudding could be made with the things in my cupboard. I've heard suggestions of using Marmalade before but the closest I had was Raspberry Jam........ I can tell you now that it worked......... oh yes it worked a treat!
(Unfortunately I have no picture of my pudding due to a currently broken and battery-less camera - apologies)

Pic found {here}



15 fl oz Milk
2 Eggs
2 oz Sugar
5 slices of bread (you can use any bread, white brown, seeded, brioche, croissants etc - works best if the bread is going a bit stale.)
Raspberry Jam or Fresh Raspberries
Butter or Margerine
Custard




  • Spread butter and jam on one side of bread and cut into squares/rectangles
  • Arrange in layers in an oven-proof dish (if using fresh raspberries, dot these between each layer)
  • For the top layer put the bread jam side down and butter the other side (the top) of the bread.
  • Lightly whisk together milk, eggs and sugar
  • Pour the mixture over the layers of bread
  • Cook in Oven on 180°C for 40 mins or until golden crispy brown on top. (It will also rise quite a lot).
  • Serve with custard hot or cold to your liking.
Cheap, easy and extra yummy!!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment